[cups.general] Re: Printer Configuration does not get updated on Windows Clients

Joerg Messbacher joerg.messbacher at seyes.org
Fri Aug 20 02:01:23 PDT 2004

"Guenther Frick" wrote:
> Helge Blischke wrote:
> > Joerg Messbacher wrote:
> >
> >>Hello,
> >>I'm using CUPS (cups-1.1.19-10mdk) and SAMBA (3.0.0) on a Linux Server running Mandrake 9.2. The Clients run Windows 2K/XP.
> >>
> >>I've installed the Windows driver on the server via Windows' Add Printer Wizard. Even if I un-install the driver (in the printers view: Server properties - Drivers - remove [translated from German Windows)) it doesn't help. Installing the same printer as a new printer under CUPS doesn't help as well.
> >>

> > AFAIK, the only workaround is to install login scripts on your
> > W2K and WXP boxes that, when run, re-install the printer instances.
> >
> > There is an excellent howto on all this stuff at linuxprinting.org.
> >
> > Helge
> >

> If I'm not wrong this is the right link:
> http://linuxprinting.org/kpfeifle/SambaPrintHOWTO/Samba-HOWTO-Collection-3.0-PrintingChapter-11th-draft.html#11_1

I've been trying again but didn't manage so far. The Printing Preferences (like page orientation and so on) get set ok, but the printer configuration like the number of trays the printer has, or if a duplex unit is intalled, doesn't get set on server, but only on the PC from which I install the driver on the server. (As I'm using german software, I'm not sure how this is called in the english version, in german it's the section Geraeteeinstellungen in the properties).

I tried to install the vendor-postscript drivers for a HP Laserjet 4100 and a Canon IR 2220. With the HP I managed to change the ppd-file manually on the server and then it also worked with the clients, but with the Canon-driver this is no option as it's data file is not text format.

Many thanks for your help!
Joerg