How to authenticate from printing software?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Aug 25 10:10:59 PDT 2004

Remco Poelstra wrote:
> Michael Sweet wrote:
>
>> Currently there is no way to do this.
>

> Do you perhaps know whether there are any plans to implement this? If
> you can't authenticate with the system it's quite unuseable not?

We currently have no plans to cache ordinary authentication
information, since we cannot guarantee confidentiality nor can we
always know when such information is required, i.e. the IPP backend
doesn't know if authentication is required until it actually tries
to send the job, and then there is no way to ask the user for his/her
credentials.

We are hoping to add Kerberos support in a future release, which will
offer secure credential passing in the form of an authentication
ticket.