CUPS webface doesn't allow parallel port

StevenFriedrich at InsightBB.com StevenFriedrich at InsightBB.com
Tue Aug 24 16:34:51 PDT 2004

Helge Blischke wrote:
> StevenFriedrich at InsightBB.com wrote:
> >
> > Helge Blischke wrote:

> > > If you just do
> > >  $libdir/backend/parallel
> > > (where $libdir is CUPS' lib directory, usually /usr/lib/cups),
> > > what does it tell then?
> > >
> > > If it remains silent, it thinks there is no parallel interface. Try this
> > > with
> > > (at least one) parallel printer(s) on and all parallel printers off.
> > >

> > > Helge
> > >
> > > --
> > > H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
> > > H.Blischke at srz-berlin.com
> > > H.Blischke at acm.org
> >
> > Thanks for the response.
> >
> > When my printer is on, I get:
> > direct parallel:/dev/lpt0 "Unknown" "Parallel Port #1 (interrupt-driven)"
> >
> > when it's off, it's silent.
> >
> > I do turn on my printer before I boot my system.
>
> So, then, whenever cupsd is started or re-reads the configuration files,
> your parallel
> printer(s) msut be on, as cupsd calls all available backends with no
> parameters just
> to get a list of the available devices.
>
> Helge
>
> --
> H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
> H.Blischke at srz-berlin.com
> H.Blischke at acm.org

I just tried it again and it showed up in the list.  I must have had a brain fart before.  I was CERTAIN that I had it powered on before boot.  What I did just now was to turn it on after boot and then send it a SIGHUP to cupsd. And then I tried to add the printer and parallel port does show up in the list.  Sorry for my lameness...