[cups.general] Probably silly Q...

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Aug 17 21:37:10 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 17 August 2004 11:45, Robert E A Harvey wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> I have been using a downloadable target for my benchrest shooting
>> activities for quite a while, printing it on the usual 24lb
>> superwhite inkjet paper.
>>
>> Unforch, this papers rag content is so high that the bullets do
>> not punch clean holes, but rip out for as much as a half an inch
>> around the hole even for bullets doing 3k feet per second at the
>> target. And much much worse for the relatively slow lumbering
>> beasts a black powder rifle throws, where a half inch bullet makes
>> a very ragged hole often ripped out for 3/4" of an inch all
>> around.
>>
>> Can someone suggest a paper thats both decently white, and has the
>> generally clean punching of the yellowed 25 to 30 lb thick pulp
>> newsprint these are normally printed on?  Something I can actually
>> find at Staples or Office Max?
>
>What about craft board?  A white sized board about 220gsm, some
>300microns thick?  Never tried it for shooting, but they cut easily
> with a scalpel and have a very clean edge once cut.

Bullets aren't very sharp in fact, so whats needed is a paper that
rips very easily I think, something like common newsprint, but 2x to
3x as thick would be about right, so that the passing bullet will
push the hole out to its exact size and no more.  At first read this
sounds like it might be worth a try.

> I bought my
> last lot from http://www.jmcpaper.co.uk/gbd/index.htm

This one doesn't have a good index unless you are a pro pressman
familiar with the trade terms (I'm not, although I do know what a
heidelburg or a harris is) looks more like specialty packaging
cardboards from what I could determine.  And probably as heavy as a
cereal box, which is a bit much.  I've not tried anything that heavy
in my C-82.

> or maybe
>http://www.kanbancardandpaper.com/english/card/card.htm

And this one does't properly mime decode, mozilla thinks its a local
file and throws several errors without actually displaying anything.

I'll see if Staples has anything suitable the next time I'm in town.
They are about 30 miles up the road from here so its not an everyday
thing.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)