[cups.general] What Name? What Password

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Aug 28 17:58:57 PDT 2004

On Saturday 28 August 2004 20:00, Nathan wrote:
>Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 21:28:28 +0000 (UTC)
>From: Anonymous <anonymous at easysw.com>
>Subject: Re: [cups.general] What Name?  What Password
>To: cups at easysw.com
>
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Friday 20 August 2004 22:56,
>
>BobGir2004 at earthlink.net wrote:
>> >I just downloaded and installeld the latest version
>
>of Gimp-Print.
>
>> > Following that, I went to http://localhost:631/
>
>and tried to access
>
>> > Administration and one or two other tabs there and
>
>met with a drop
>
>> > down menu requiring a Name and Password.  I used
>
>my Computer Name
>
>> > and my admin users password and these were
>
>rejected.
>
>> >Anyone know what I should enter here?
>>
>> root, and roots password
>
>I am having a similar problem but mine is when i enter
>the root, and
>root's pw it does not recognize them.
>
>thanks, mike
>
>Try the following:
>To get CUPS Admin GUI on browser URL is:
>http://localhost:631/
>
>lppasswd
>
>Add password for cups in digest password in
>/etc/cups/passwd.md5
>
>Add:
>(none):~ # lppasswd -a test -g sys
>Enter password:
>Enter password again:
>(none):~ #

Odd indeed.  I won't take my root pw, not secure enough I guess, and
when I do give it something legal, then it cannot open the passwd
file, no permission.  Like this:

# lppasswd -a root -g sys
Enter password:
Enter password again:
lppasswd: Unable to open passwd file: Permission denied

And I'm root...  Go figure.  And its typical, as root, I cannot cancel
a print job, no permission.  I can configure it thru the web server
just fine, but to do anything else but print, fugetaboudit.  It gets
damned frustrating when a printer error causes the printer to lose
its initialization, and proceed to fill 20 pages with garbage text
before you can get it to reboot, which will *usually* cancel the job.
I say usually, because I have had it start back up after a reboot,
long before I can get logged in and x started.

>Did that for root and admin also
>
>See in /etc/cups/passwd.md5

Doesn't exist except as a 1 byte length file on my system.  Dated Jan
14, 2004, owned by lp:sys.  Looks like the perms are 0600.

cups-1.2.1-rc2 I think.