[cups.general] Re: How to authenticate from printing software?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Aug 26 07:06:52 PDT 2004

Colin Walters wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 13:10 -0400, Michael Sweet wrote:
>
>>Remco Poelstra wrote:

>>>Do you perhaps know whether there are any plans to implement this? If
>>>you can't authenticate with the system it's quite unuseable not?
>>
>>We currently have no plans to cache ordinary authentication
>>information, since we cannot guarantee confidentiality nor can we
>>always know when such information is required, i.e. the IPP backend
>>doesn't know if authentication is required until it actually tries
>>to send the job, and then there is no way to ask the user for his/her
>>credentials.
>

> You may be interested in the printing architecture we're working on at
> Red Hat, where cups runs as part of the user session.  This makes it
> much easier to pop up an authentication dialog when a password is
> required.

Sounds like a totally over-engineered solution that doesn't solve
the general problem, and we aren't interested.

We have some UI- and network-agnostic notification-based ideas that
we will be trying once CUPS 1.2 is released.  They could tie in to
your D-BUS stuff quite easily without requiring a session-level CUPS
daemon running.