[cups.general] cupsaddsmb (

Helge Blischke H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
Tue Aug 31 05:02:31 PDT 2004

Peter Kobe wrote:

> Helge,
>
> thanks for your answer.
> But this must be a quite common problem.
> How do other people act on this?
> Grepping  through the Samba-Files I found
> /usr/local/samba/var/locks/ntprinters.tdb to hold this information.
> Is there a tool manage this file ?
>
> Peter
> > Peter Kobe wrote:
> > >
> > > cups-1.1.20
> > > I exchanged an old printer to a new model.
> > > IP-address and Quename remained.
> > > ppd-file and Comment where changed.
> > >
> > > No problems with cups on the Unix-side
> > >
> > > On the Samba-side I reinstalled the printer
> > > Problem: the old Comment remains, even on Systems that never
> before installed
> > > that printer.
> > >
> > >         How do I change that ?
> > >
> > Seems to be a samba bug (even in 3.0.5).
> >
> > Helge

If you look select the printer's parameters using SWAT, and hit "commit
changes",
the stuff is added to the local copy of smb.conf, and the current
comments are
displayed by smbclient -L servername. Thus, I suppose, if you then
re-install
this printer on a Win box, it should show the current comment.

Obviously the comments aren't treated as very important (as with me).

Helge

H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
H.Blischke at srz-berlin.com
H.Blischke at acm.org