connection timed out

ben webmaster at tenorposaune.com
Tue Aug 24 16:01:39 PDT 2004

I'm trying to install CUPS on my Gentoo 2004.2 (2.4.27 kernel) machine, to print to an HP OfficeJet T65 (parallel port).  Compiling and installing went fine, and I've got parallel support in my kernel.  I get no errors when I start the software.  Everything appears to be right until I try to add a printer.  First I tried using my web browser to use the admin tool on port 631.  It loads the main page just fine, and also the /admin and /documentation sections.  However, some sections, including the "add printer" tool, do not respond.  I assumed something was wrong with the setup of this tool, and decided to just do it from the commandline, since there was relatively clear documentation on how to do it.  However, that doesn't respond either.  Here's my output:

# /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p OfficeJet -E -v parallel:/dev/lp0 -m /etc/cups/ppd/hpijs.ppd
lpadmin: Unable to connect to server: Connection timed out

I've been working on this for some days, and I'm out of ideas.  I can't find any previous discussions of a similar problem, either.  Any help would be appreciated.