Adding printers securely

Tim Jacobs tim.jacobs at fys.kuleuven.ac.be
Mon Aug 30 05:39:23 PDT 2004

Hi everybody,

I have installed CUPS, and it works very good. There is one puzzling
issue that I am not able to resolve however:

I can connect through an insecure connection and add printers (i.e.
through http://hostname:631/ ). This works perfect. I can connect
through a secure connection and add printers (i.e. through
https://hostname , using port 443). This also works perfect.

However, both printers seem to be seperated from eachother: people
connecting insecurely cannot see printers that have been added through
the secure connection, and people connecting securely cannot see the
printers added insecurely.

Is there some way around this ? I actually need (insecure) printing to
127.0.0.1:631, while users need to be able to access their jobs securely
at https://hostname/jobs. I use CUPS 1.1.20, compiled from source (using
Gentoo Linux).

Thanks!

Sincerely,