New CUPS 1.2.X unable to install printer as root

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Tue Aug 31 10:18:02 PDT 2004

Nathan S. wrote:
> I have come to the conclusion that CUPS is not ready for anything but headaches.  I've had nothing but problems for six months of tweaking, reinstalling, upgrading, asking questions that remain unanswered, etc.  Thank god it is free.
>
> If anyone can give me a hint of any other printing system that works well with a Samsung ML1650, please let me know...

I am a home user and have just set up a new HP PSC 1210 w/apsfilter in Slackware 9.1.  I can scan, copy and print.

If you don't see your printer during the apsfilter SETUP procedure, then I suggest you go over to apsfilter.org and sign up for the help maillist and post your question.

My printer was too new for apsfilter, but apsfilter only required two minor tweaks to two configuration files.  It may take a few days for someone to come by and help you though, so don't be impatient.