"intelligent" load balancing or duplex detection

Elvin Lee elvlee at ucdavis.edu
Wed Aug 18 14:39:24 PDT 2004

I had considered writing a backend to perform duplex detection, but I
could not discern a way to "select" a printer in the class to perform
the print job. Could you enlighten me on this?

Basically, I was worried that even if the backend could properly detect
that a print job required duplexing, and then sent it to the correct
printer, wouldn't CUPS still perform a "dumb" load-balance at the
appropriate time and select a printer from the class to process the job?

Perhaps if you made your backend available, I could use it as a model to
build mine. :)

Elvin