[cups.general] Re: How to authenticate from printing software?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Aug 27 11:31:19 PDT 2004

Colin Walters wrote:
>>however in the future
>>it will be possible for upstream servers to notify the job
>>originator when authentication is required.
>

> So in other words, it doesn't work with CUPS now, so I don't see how "it
> is already used in a LOT of corporate and government environments".

The multi-level authentication is already in place.  They use hardcoded
user accounts to get things through.  They don't want to keep doing
this but instead want per-user authentication all the way to the final
server.  Clearly multi-level authentication is being used, just not at
a user level (yet).

>>>I can imagine, it must have been a proprietary protocol on top of SMTP.
>>
>>Not really, it basically looked like a moderation system - all outgoing
>>email had to be authenticated first with the local SMTP server, the
>>mail was sent and held on the final server, and then we approved it
>>(with more username/password stuff) via a UI at the final server.
>

> Right...not really SMTP anymore :)

and your point is?  The mail is still transferred via SMTP, they just
wrapped it to get the multi-level authentication in place.  The need
is there, I never said the software/protocol was there, yet...