[cups.general] Re: lprm <PID> => Not all processes killed

Felix E. Klee felix.klee at inka.de
Mon Aug 30 08:32:37 PDT 2004

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 18:53:24 +0200 Felix E. Klee wrote:
> The latter case is especially frustrating for novices that don't know
> how to kill the stray process. This is an additional reason why, on
> several systems, I'd like to configure CUPS to always kill all relevant
> processes upon issuing "lprm <ID>". Is this possible?

Just some thoughts that didn't occur to me before. They show why it is
*not* a good idea to configure CUPS to kill all the processes accessing
a particular device upon issuing "lprm <ID>".

As Michael said, killing that stray process may leave the printer in a
non-consistent state. This is not that bad, if the process killed was
the last one. However, if there is another process in the queue, then
the printer will most likely become confused and print only junk.

Thus, killing all processes accessing a certain printer is only useful
when also killing all print jobs accessing that printer.

Felix