LPD weirdness

Jacob jacob at gnu.org
Thu Aug 19 20:06:49 PDT 2004

So I have my computer setup to a remote LPD printer, and sometimes when the printer is busy, it'll respond to cups with something like "queue not accepting jobs" (as seen with ethereal and it's built in lpd disector).  Depending on the OS and/or version of cups I'm on, it will either: keep trying to send the job about every minute; store the job on the client, but put the queue in a stopped state in cups, or keep the queue up on cups, but the job disapears from existance.  Is there a specific action that cups is supposed to take when the printer is busy? or is it dependant on the CUPS distribution?  Has anyone else seen this?  What's going on?