Printing from remote Solaris/SYSV lp to CUPS?

Helge Blischke H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
Thu Aug 19 05:21:09 PDT 2004

martin.wardNOSPAM at uk.neceur.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to implement a central printing service like so:
>
> A central server running Suse 9.0 linux printing to various HP LaserJet printers.
> A couple of Suse, RedHat and Debian boxes plus numerous Solaris and HP-UX machines printing through the central server to the LJs.
>
> Now I can get CUPS installed and working on the central server fine, the problem is with the remote servers. I don't have CUPS or CUPS-CLIENT binaries for all of these systems and the main problem is with the Solaris machines. I can, however, install the standard SYSV LP subsystem on those machines.
>
> The question is: Can I print using the SYSV LP system to a remote printer running fom the CUPS server, is there a model script that will do it? I've scoured the net but to no avail.

Solaris lets you configure the SYSV spooler to print to remote printers
over the net.
AFAIK, you have a choice between SYSV or BSD protocol (the latter being
something close
to LPD as of RFC 1179). But how to do this differs by the Solaris
version, and I
never used this myself (I prefer to compile CUPS and install the client
stuff at least).

Helge

H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
H.Blischke at srz-berlin.com