[cups.bugs] IPP Backend...

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Aug 4 08:43:08 PDT 2004

Andres Adjimann wrote:
> passes the device_uri as argv[0]. One question is way, the ipp backend
> can use the enviroment variable DEVICE_URI. There is a problem with
> another backend, it is for backward compatibility ???

No, it is there to support script-based backends which do not have
access to the original argv[0] value.

>    Another  questions are : There is another way to solve my problem ???
> There is others security issues ???

Currently there is no generic authentication solution for backends
(patches are welcome!), so you have to put the username and password
in the device URI.

The known security issues are discussed in the CUPS Software Security
Report, available at:

     http://www.cups.org/documentation.php