PPD files not found

Occam occam at internode.on.net
Tue Aug 10 04:13:10 PDT 2004

Helge Blischke wrote:
> Occam wrote:
> >
> > Helge Blischke wrote:

> > > The PPD files must be installed in (usually) /usr/share/cups/model to be
> > > recognized by the web interface or the lpadmin command.
> > >
> > The files were found there by the CUPS web interface and copied to /etc/cups/ppd with the name chosen for the printer.  I made a copy, with the chosen name, to /usr/share/cups/model - no luck.  I explicitly set the PPD file with lpadmin - still no luck, even after restarting cupsd.
> > Another computer with another printer shows the same problem. They both run Slackware 10, so next step will be to reinstall - FROM SOURCE - the software involved, piece by piece; starting with ESP ghostscript(?).
> >
> > If anyone has some other, easier, solution please tell me. I am lazy..
>
> Test the PPD in question using the cupstestppd utility and report what
> that program barfs.

Here it is:
/etc/cups/ppd/Kyocera.ppd:
    DETAILED CONFORMANCE TEST RESULTS
        PASS    DefaultImageableArea
        PASS    DefaultPaperDimension
        PASS    DefaultColorModel
        PASS    DefaultResolution
        PASS    DefaultPageSize
        PASS    DefaultInputSlot
        PASS    DefaultPageRegion
        PASS    DefaultstpBrightness
        PASS    DefaultstpContrast
        PASS    DefaultstpDensity
        PASS    DefaultstpDither
        PASS    DefaultstpGamma
        PASS    DefaultstpImageType
        PASS    FileVersion
        PASS    FormatVersion
        PASS    LanguageEncoding
        PASS    LanguageVersion
        PASS    Manufacturer
        PASS    ModelName
        PASS    NickName
        PASS    PageSize
        PASS    PageRegion
        PASS    PCFileName
        PASS    Product
        PASS    PSVersion
        PASS    ShortNickName
    NO ERRORS FOUND
and the same for the copy in /usr..
/usr/share/cups/model/Kyocera.ppd:
[...]

I have been unable to find info on lpoptions - where it looks for PPD files.  Since lpadmin using option -P does NOT set the path/file - maybe it is set somewhere else?

Leon