forced hold job?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Aug 9 08:31:39 PDT 2004

pieterjandeboeck at yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Hello Michael,
>
> I've been reading up on features support in 1.2. Looks like you have
> a gargantuan task at hand.

Not really; most of the code is now done (not all committed to the
public repo) and the hardest thing is dividing time between 1.1.x,
1.2.x, the new CUPS Windows driver, and the CUPS DDK.

> No mention of "forced hold jobs", what is it/would it be able to stop
> jobs created by the user by looped polling of cupsd? (before they are
> sent over the network?)

In short, you can set the default job-hold-until attribute which
will be used when jobs come in via IPP.  Prior to 1.2 the only
way to do this was with lpoptions, but since Windows and OSX do
not use lpoptions, you can't reliably set the job-hold-until
attribute from all sources.

In 1.2 you'll be able to use:

     lpadmin -p printer -o job-hold-until-default=indefinite

to set the default to hold the jobs.

(there will also be a web UI for this...)