[cups.general] Does CUPS ever work out of the box?

Phil Reynolds phil at tinsleyviaduct.com
Wed Dec 1 02:11:42 PST 2004

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 12:03:02AM -0500, Nathan S. wrote:
> Just another rant:  I've never been able to get CUPS to work "out of the box."  I've finally broken down and purchased SuSE 9.2pro and left Slackware for now, and have tried two printers...one a brand new color laser and one a really old monochrome laser.  Still, no printing with CUPS straight out of the box.  I've used the correct ppd's, everything appears to be set up correctly with a generic install, and still nothing.  Yes, I've used different printer cables.

Well, I have cups working on most of my machines - two with printers
fitted (one running Debian, one FreeBSD), and three without - two Debian
and one NetBSD. I have not yet got it installed on my OpenBSD box - I
will wait until it is ported/packaged and just use BSD compatibility.

It works fine as long as you install all you are supposed to need (such
as hpijs for some HP printers), in my experience.

I've not paid much attention to problems you have been having, but it
should be easy enough to get it to work.

--
Phil Reynolds
 o  ____ mail: phil at tinsleyviaduct.com
|L_ \  / Web: http://www.tinsleyviaduct.com/phil/
(_)- \/  Waltham 67, Emley Moor 69, Droitwich 79, Windows 95