[cups.general] network saturation

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Dec 1 05:57:48 PST 2004

angel bosch wrote:
> hi!
>
> is there any network problem with browsing feature?
> i have about 200 machines and 40 printeres on a lan and cups is
> installed on each machine. wich browsing options do you recommend me?

Probably the standard BrowseAddress stuff on the server(s) will be
OK.  You can fiddle with the BrowseInterval (the default is 30
seconds, you can set it as high as 150 without changing the
client configuration) to reduce the frequency of the broadcasts,
however I don't think you'll have any problems with 40 printers
(that would work out to less than 2 packets per second of about
80 bytes going over your network...)