[cups.general] CUPS suddenly does not print - additional details

Ambrose Li ambrose.li at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 10:03:58 PST 2004

I just found that "root" can print without any problems. I guess this
explains why the test page printed fine.

To summarize, my problem looks like this:

- Jobs sent by root print fine
- Jobs sent by normal users does not print:
  1. lpq reports the printer is ready and an empty queue
  2. the web interface shows an empty queue and reports the printer is
ready but status is stuck at "Processing page 1"
  3. if I check the completed jobs, it shows the last job as "aborted"
  4. error_log shows nothing informative, just a generic "PID XXX
stopped with status 0!" line (in 1.1.20 it shows "exited with signal
11" instead of "stopped with status 0", I find the old error slightly
more informative but still very unhelpful)

I had tried changing /dev/lp0's permission to world-writable before
(before I tried using usb instead of parallel), but normal users still
couldn't print. So I'm at a loss as to what kind of permission problem
it is :-/

PS: I wonder why error_log fails to show where the permission problem
is. Normally error- or debug-level logging should show that, but even
debug2 level does not show the problem. Perhaps it's because cups is
calling various sub-processes and the sub-processes are not reporting
errors properly?