filter options ignored on a browsed queue

msz at astrouw dot edu dot pl Michal
Mon Dec 6 01:59:36 PST 2004

I have a HP2100 PS network printer. The queue "hp2100" is defined (as JetDirect printer) on one machine, say "host1", with default Queue/Filter options (12cpi, 7 lpi, page margins etc.) Driver options are set to "Convert text to postscript" and "Assume unknown data is text".

When I print a plain ASCII text file on "host1", using "lpr -Php2100 textfile" command, everything works as expected, the output conforms to the queue/filter options. When I, however, issue the same command on another machine, say "host2", on which the "hp2100" queue is automatically detected as a "Browsed queue", I get completely different output - big font, first line cropped, about two first characters of each line also cropped. As if it ignored completely the filter settings.

There is no possibility to edit a browsed queue so my guess is it should just send the file to "host1" for preprocessing and printing. Apparently it is not so.

Both machines are Fedora Core 2, cups updated to 1.1.20-11.6. I am using the Fedora's "system-config-printer" utility.

When I added the printer as a new queue on "host2", with the same settings as on "host1", it started to print OK. Any idea why it is not so when it uses "browsed" queue?

regards, Michal.