Generic Question about cups and printing

@(none) "seer\" at (none)
Wed Dec 8 10:56:52 PST 2004

(Please pardon me if this sounds newbieish)

When printing in general its working for me out of the box
except for a few small details:

The fonts never quite look like the ones I'm trying to
use. Sometimes, I get blocks when printing Japanese and always
when printing Vietnamese text. I'm not looking for any specific
advice,  but in general, my questions are:

1. Does everything have to go through postscript?
   (postscript always seems to have trouble with encodings)

2. Are there a completely different set of fonts used for
    printing than the ones that I use for onscreen viewing?

3. If the above two are answered in the affirmative, I would
    wonder if there are any plans to unify font handling for
    onscreen display and printing and hopefully to cut postscript
    out of the loop entirely...

4. My goal is to be able to print an html document encoded in
    utf-8 containing English, Japanese, and Vietnamese text.
    Is this a pipe-dream under cups?