lpq (CUPS client & LPRng server) queries show no jobs

David Botsch dwb7 at ccmr.cornell.edu
Wed Dec 8 13:19:03 PST 2004

Hi.

We are running cups 1.1.17-13.3.16 client from the RH packages on RHEL3 and
LPRng 3.8.21-1 server custom compiled on RH7.3 (as well as LPRng clients
on rh7.3).

If I submit a print job on the cups machine, and then lpq the print
queue, I get something back like:

lpq -Pbtc
btc is ready
no entries

What I would expect to see (and what I do indeed see if I were to use lpq
from a RH7.3 box running LPRng client) is:

lpq -Pbtc
Printer: btc at baryon 'CCMR, HP Color LaserJet 4500, 302 Thurston' (dest
lp at 192.168.231.169)
Queue: 1 printable job
 Server: pid 10912 active
 Unspooler: pid 10915 active
 Rank   Owner/ID                  Class Job Files                 Size Time
active dl288 at DONGKYU+515            A   515 Microsoft Word - Fi 611493 16:13:48

Because I cannot see the job, I also cannot lprm it. Right now, users
would have to go to the web page to look at their jobs, and login to the
web page to be able to rm the jobs.

Question: Is this a bug? Is this the way it is supposed to work? Is there
some way to get the cups lpq/lprm/lpc clients to talk to the LPRng print
servers?

Unfortunately, we need to keep LPRng on our print servers due to the
requirement to do kerberos authenticated printing.

Thanks!

David William Botsch
Consultant/Advisor II
CCMR Computing Facility