[cups.general] installing cups on freebsd 5.1

Ian Moore no-spam at swiftdsl.com.au
Wed Dec 8 22:38:32 PST 2004

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 12:41, Anonymous wrote:
> I am new at working with unix and can't figure out how to install cups and
> set up my computer as the print server. could use some help on what to do
> or where to look so I can set my computer up with cups and as the print
> server. Thanks for your time and help.
>
>                            Robert

as root:
# cd /usr/ports/print/cups
# make install clean
# cp /usr/local/etc/cups.sh.sample /usr/local/etc/cups.sh
# /usr/local/etc/cups.sh start

That should install cups & it's dependencies & start it.
you probably will want gimp-print too since it contains a lot of print
drivers:
# cd /usr/ports/print/gimp-print
# make install clean

Now point you browser at localhost:631 and use the GUI to add a printer and
configure it. For more information, the article at
http://www.freebsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?s=8715285104d90ed18f805ef87530dd0a&threadid=15325&pagenumber=1
is very good.

Cheers,

Ian