lpq (CUPS client & LPRng server) queries show no jobs

Dave Botsch dwb7 at cornell.edu
Thu Dec 9 18:57:35 PST 2004

Once again, see below...

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 18:41:54 -0500, Michael Sweet wrote:

> David Botsch wrote:
>  > ...
>> There is not? Then how does the LPRng lpq do it? Briefly looking at
>> rfc1179, it looks like it's a simple client/server protocol where the
>> client sends the "Send queue state" command to the server, gets back
>> a response, maybe parses the reponse, and prints said response. I
>> don't think the client needs to actually keep track of the job number
>> itself.
>
> Actually, it does need the job ID.  The lpq and lpstat commands
> only support IPP - we have no plans or desire to support LPD in
> these apps - so the only place to track the job is in the LPD
> backend.
>
> Since the LPD print command does not return a job ID, and there
> is no way to reliably determine the job ID after the fact, there
> is no way for us to track jobs printed via LPD...

Since cups knows that the queue is a lpd queue, what is stopping the
backend from just periodically (or when lpq is called) querying the LPRng
server and displaying the returned information?

(snip)

> Actually, it is CUPS -> remote IPP module in Apache -> LPRng.

I'm interested in at least looking at this. URL?

I will admit, however, to being somewhat cautious about adding another
step in the chain to printing (it's another piece to have fail). I hate to
say this, but it's looking like we may have to either install LPRng as the
printing system or replace the lpq/lprm/lpc binaries with the LPRng
versions. I would say I don't want to maintain two printing systems, but,
've already got CUPS/OS X.2 clients. So...

--
David William Botsch
dwb7 at ccmr.cornell.edu