[cups.general] Some question on settin-up. a printer.

Spencer infotechsys at pivot.net
Fri Dec 10 04:08:30 PST 2004

Hi,
I'm trying to set-up my HP Laserjet 1100 printer on a gentoo
distribution. I'm currenlty using linux kernel 2.4.26. After following
the instruction in the howto for install cups, I'm still unable to print.
I should say that I order the book on cups from Borders book store, but
that won't be in for 4 to 6 weeks.In reading the "CUPS Software Adm Manual",
I find myself more confuse.So, could some kind soul give me some
answers?
1. If one adds a printer manaully does that  then make the printer
a server printer? Or does one have to also set a server printer using the
Web wizard?

2. This kinda goes with the first q..How does one set a printer up so that it
can be used by the printer daemon and the printer server?

3.While reading the manual I came across the wording "the default is",
does that mean that a parameter in one of the config files will be
set for me? And how does this affect the printer if I only what to use
a LPD without a server printer? I think it would be nice
if a default is going to be set to tell the person what config file
this value is going to be in.

For me, the document does not make it clear why one would what
both a server printer and LPD, out-side the fact that the server could
go down.Why have two different method for setting-up the same printer?
Thanks.
Wayne