Filter for sending e-mail

ce.mcdonald at gmail.com ce.mcdonald at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 11:48:07 PST 2004

I need to migrate a LPRng filter/printer solution over to CUPS

Here is the LPRng printer

e-mail
:if=/usr/local/sbin/e-mail-lp-filter
:lp=/dev/null
:lpd_bounce=false
:ml=0
:mx=0
:sd=/var/spool/lpd/email

The filter looks like this

FILE="/tmp"'/bin/date +/%Y%m%d_%H%M%S_email'
eval cat -> $FILE
eval cat $FILE|tr -d '\000\r\f'|/user/sbin/sendmail -t
rm -f $FILE

exit 0

Basically we send a text file from an AS/400 that is text and the header info is stripped by sendmail -t and sent out through the MTA

I found a mailto backend to send mail but it sends an attachment and accepts only a mailto and mailfrom variable from lp command

Can any one help me come up with a simple solution for this?

Thanks
Colin