Apple 8500 multipurpose tray A4 only

Oliver Oliver
Sun Dec 12 11:02:55 PST 2004

Helge Blischke wrote:
> Oliver, at, raincode, co, uk wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I recently aquired a second hand Apple LaserWriter 8500 (PostScipt level 3). I got hold of the PPD file from the Apple website which was in a windows driver. Printing from the standard cassette seams to works perfectly.
> >
> > If I try to use anything other than A4 in the multipurpose tray it either doesn't fill the whole page, or the printer prints on it self. I tried A3, DL envelopes and A5 (and A4 which works, long edge first only).
> >
> > Using ABIWord The output scales from whatever to fit onto A4, using openoffice it clips.
> >
> > I assume this means for some reason CUPS always thinks there is A4 paper in the tray.
> >
> > This only happens when printing on linux computers with CUPS installed. printing from windows (to the cups server) works fine.
> >
> > Does anybody have any idea about this?
>
> Post (an URL to) the PPD as you did configure it for CUPS.
> And tell us how the printer itself is configured. It probably has
> a HTTP interface which allows to specify what media types/sizes/colors
> are in which tray.
>
> Helge

The printer is several years old. You can telnet into it. However this doesnt provide any configuration relating to media. There is supposidly an interface which you can connect to it with appropriate software on an Apply, but I dont have one. I'v been told this isnt necessary. The PPD I use is http://www.raincode.co.uk/misc/Apple8500.ppd which I put allong side the example PPDs included with CUPS.

The CUPS server prints to this printer via LPR.

Everybody prints through the CUPS server.

In windows the printers are add as an IPP printer and the correct driver selected. These print fine.

Browsing is inabled and the printers apear on linux machines automatically. These dont work