Filter for sending e-mail

Colin ce.mcdonald at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 12:33:56 PST 2004

Helge Blischke wrote:
> ce.mcdonald at gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > I need to migrate a LPRng filter/printer solution over to CUPS
> >
> > Here is the LPRng printer
> >
> > e-mail
> > :if=/usr/local/sbin/e-mail-lp-filter
> > :lp=/dev/null
> > :lpd_bounce=false
> > :ml=0
> > :mx=0
> > :sd=/var/spool/lpd/email
> >
> > The filter looks like this
> >
> > FILE="/tmp"'/bin/date +/%Y%m%d_%H%M%S_email'
> > eval cat -> $FILE
> > eval cat $FILE|tr -d '\000\r\f'|/user/sbin/sendmail -t
> > rm -f $FILE
> >
> > exit 0
> >
> > Basically we send a text file from an AS/400 that is text and the header info is stripped by sendmail -t and sent out through the MTA
> >
> > I found a mailto backend to send mail but it sends an attachment and accepts only a mailto and mailfrom variable from lp command
> >
> > Can any one help me come up with a simple solution for this?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Colin
>
> You may try defining your printer as follows:
>
> lpadmin -p e-mail -v file:/dev/null -i /usr/local/sbin/e-mail-lp-filter
>
> Do not forget to enable printing to file in your mime.types and
> mime.convs files.
>
> A more CUPS-like method would be to modify your script to behave like a
> CUPS
> backend (similar to the mailto backend you mentioned).
>
> Helge
>
> --
> Helge Blischke
> Softwareentwicklung
> SRZ Berlin | Firmengruppe besscom
> http://www.srz.de
> tel: +49 30 75301-360

Thanks for the info. I tried the command and I get the following:

lpadmin: add-printer (set model) failed: client-error-not-found

I assume that is because of what you said about enabling printing to a file. It seems like I found something on how to do this yesterday but I can't seem to find it today. Can you guide me in the right direction. I also read somehwere about the CUPS development blocking output to a file from certain versions forward for security reasons.

Thanks again!

Colin