[cups.general] HP PSC-750 "Media tray empty!" Error

Jeff Cranmer jcranmer01 at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 12 13:41:00 PST 2004

I am trying to use the my PSC-750 printer/scanner/copier with the HP PSC
750xi Foomatic/hpijs printer driver.

When I try to send a test page, I get a 'media tray empty' error, though
there is plenty of paper in the tray.

I have successfully configured a HP DeskJet Series CUPS v1.1 driver to
work with this printer, but the quality is not what it was with the HP
PSC 750xi Foomatic/hpijs driver on my old (now removed) Mandrake 9.2
install.

The driver is the same one which worked with Mandrake, and I'm running a
Gentoo 2.4.27 kernel (though the same error appears on my gentoo 2.6
kernel).

In previous searches, I have seen a few other similar posts claiming
that it is a bug in the latest version of cups and how it interfaces
with usb, but haven't found any work-around solutions described.

Has anyone experienced the same problems and found a permanent solution?

Thanks in advance

Jeff