[cups.general] cups and Print list

Ted Gervais ve1drg at av.eastlink.ca
Sun Dec 12 16:01:21 PST 2004

I am new to setting up cups on a Slackware system and find that I am
missing a Printer list.

When I bring up the Print Manager it tries to initialize the cups port
(631) and fails - saying something about 'unable to retrieve printer
list'.

How or where do I get this list. Or is it something I make up.
I know the printer and the information I need to put in such a list but
what document to I enter the info in??

The Printer is a HP Deskjet 895Cxi and according to the ifhp list, it is
printer 'gs_cdj550 (HP Deskjet 895Cxi).

This printer is NOT on my Slackware machine but another one on my LAN.
I am thinking of telling the system that the printer is located at 'ip
address at 631'.  Us that how its done.

IE:  lp:tc=.common:lp=192.168.0.147 at 631

Any thoughts please.