[cups.general] BrowseAllow/Deny

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Mon Dec 13 07:37:33 PST 2004

Hello,

On Dec 6 08:17 Christoph Litauer wrote (shortened):
> I want my cups server to be usable by any client in the network. So I defined
>
> BrowseAllow @LOCAL
>
> On the other hand I don't want the cups server to "learn" any other cups
> printer available on any other cups server in the network (e.g. running on a
> notebook with locally installed printers). Is it possible? What
> BrowseAllow/Deny statements do I need?

Why do notebooks with locally installed printers broadcast their
local queues?
By default broadcasting is disabled.
Therefore the notebook user must have enabled it intentionally.

If a notebook user broadcasts then you should be happy because
it saves the resources of your network printing system and let
the other users in the network print to the queues of this helpful
notebook user ;-)

If you really don't want to save your network printing resources
you could for example read the comments in cupsd.conf:
# BrowseTimeout: the timeout for network printers - if we don't
# get an update within this time the printer will be removed
# from the printer list.  This number definitely should not be
# less the BrowseInterval value for obvious reasons.  Defaults
# to 300 seconds.
BrowseTimeout 0 doesn't mean unlimited timeout but really a timeout
of 0 - i.e. the cupsd forgets each broadcasted queue immediately.

By the way:
I terrible apologize that I was on vacation the last week so that
I could not immediately answer your question and tell you which
comment in cupsd.conf shows a solution ;-))

Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de