Basic setup question

Andreas Fromm afromm at physik.uni-erlangen.de
Mon Dec 13 08:03:23 PST 2004

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a couple of Linux workstations to print to a
HP-2300dn printer conected through the ethernet port to the LAN. I'm
able to send print jobs from the clients to the lpd-ques of the printer,
but don't get it to print in duplex mode. The old configuration (lprng
with the printer on a parallel port of one of the wks) was working with
the -Zduplex parametzer very well.

I would prefer to use CUPS as it reduces the configuration task on each
wks. My question now is, do I need to set up a cups server on one oh the
wks, or can I send the jobs directly to the JetDirect print server from
  on printer? The other question is how does the duplex-stuff work with
CUPS?

Best regards,

Andreas Fromm