[cups.general] Multiple pages adn duplexing ?

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Mon Dec 13 17:36:15 PST 2004

Set up the queues for these printers with the original PPDs from HP,
either from

http://www.linuxprinting.org/download/PPD/HP/

or from the CDs coming with the printers. Then you can activate duplex
printing usually with

lpr -P printer -o Duplex=DuplexNoTumble file.ps

for double-sided printing with long-edge binding

lpr -P printer -o Duplex=DuplexTumble file.ps

for double-sided printing with short-edge binding or

lpr -P printer -o Duplex=None file.ps

for single-sided printing. Or use the appropriate options in the menues
of kprinter or xpp. Multiple pages per sheet you get with the
CUPS-internal "number-up" option, see http://localhost:631/sum.html

See also the output of

lpoptions -p printer -l

to have an overview of all available options.

Note that when the duplex unit of your printer is an optional add-on,
you have to set the "Duplex Unit" option in the "Installed Options"
group to be set to "Installed" when you set the default option settings
for your queues. Otherwise turning on double-sided printing in your
print jobs will not be accepted.

    Till