[cups.general] BrowseAllow/Deny

Christoph Litauer litauer at uni-koblenz.de
Tue Dec 14 05:38:04 PST 2004

Johannes Meixner schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> On Dec 6 08:17 Christoph Litauer wrote (shortened):
>
>>I want my cups server to be usable by any client in the network. So I defined
>>
>>BrowseAllow @LOCAL
>>
>>On the other hand I don't want the cups server to "learn" any other cups
>>printer available on any other cups server in the network (e.g. running on a
>>notebook with locally installed printers). Is it possible? What
>>BrowseAllow/Deny statements do I need?
>

> Why do notebooks with locally installed printers broadcast their
> local queues?
> By default broadcasting is disabled.
> Therefore the notebook user must have enabled it intentionally.

Yes, it seems so. But I have little influence on self-administered
notebooks. Maybe browsing is needed in another network environment.

> If a notebook user broadcasts then you should be happy because
> it saves the resources of your network printing system and let
> the other users in the network print to the queues of this helpful
> notebook user ;-)

:-)

> If you really don't want to save your network printing resources
> you could for example read the comments in cupsd.conf:
> # BrowseTimeout: the timeout for network printers - if we don't
> # get an update within this time the printer will be removed
> # from the printer list.  This number definitely should not be
> # less the BrowseInterval value for obvious reasons.  Defaults
> # to 300 seconds.
> BrowseTimeout 0 doesn't mean unlimited timeout but really a timeout
> of 0 - i.e. the cupsd forgets each broadcasted queue immediately.

Thanks a lot, I just looked for Allow/Deny comments, thinking this
feature must be allowed or denied ...

> By the way:
> I terrible apologize that I was on vacation the last week so that
> I could not immediately answer your question and tell you which
> comment in cupsd.conf shows a solution ;-))

Johannes: I apologize my impatience. I know that it's not your job to
answer dumb users questions. But the responsiveness of this group
normally is very high. I thought nobody realized my question ...

Thanks again.

--
Regards
Christoph
Christoph Litauer                  litauer at uni-koblenz.de
Uni Koblenz, Computing Center,     http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~litauer
Postfach 201602, 56016 Koblenz     Fon: +49 261 287-1311, Fax: -100 1311
PGP-Key: http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~litauer/public-key.html