[cups.general] Suse 9.2 and CUPS.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Dec 14 08:02:59 PST 2004

On Tuesday 14 December 2004 10:25, Jordi wrote:
>Hi all!
>
>I've just installed Suse 9.2 The installation process have gone
> without problems and all the printers atached to the parallel ports
> have been recognized.
>
>At last,  when I try to print to any printer I get the same message
> from the CUPS queue:
>
>"Unable to open parallel port device file "/dev/lp0": Permission
> denied"
>
>There is no file such this in /dev directory.  Instead, I've found
> that lp0,lp1 and lp2 files are located in /dev/usb directory.  I
> have no idea of how to move this files or how to reconfigure CUPS
> to force the search of lpX in /dev/usb.
>
>Any suggesttions will be appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance.

First, make sure that the httpd daemon is running, then,

Point your favorite browser at http://localhost:631

And follow the
links and directions there to add/remove/reconfigure
your printer(s)

The reason for the pluraility is that you can define a single
printer as many, each with a different operating profile in re
resolution, color, greyscale, paper  type, etc, etc.

Make them lp0, lp1, lp2, etc, and set the one defined for fast,
low/medium resolution color as the default system printer, and all
other apps will use that profile by default, but most can chose
another if you want to wander around in the apps printing gui and
change it on a per print job basis.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)