[cups.general] Suse 9.2 and CUPS.

Jordi jordi at perdigo.com
Tue Dec 14 22:47:25 PST 2004

Johannes Meixner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Dec 14 10:25 Jordi wrote (shortened):
> > "Unable to open parallel port device file "/dev/lp0": Permission denied"
> > There is no file such this in /dev directory.
>
> Then you messed up your system.
> This has nothing to do with CUPS.
>
> This is how it is normally:
>
> crw-rw----  1 root lp 6, 0 ... /dev/lp0
> crw-rw----  1 root lp 6, 1 ... /dev/lp1
> crw-rw----  1 root lp 6, 2 ... /dev/lp2
>
> The files belong to the RPM package "devs".
>
> You can use mknod to crate them manualy.
>

> Regards,
> Johannes Meixner

Thanks Johannes,

Phone support from Suse in spain have told me the answer:  "Use USB printers.  Suse 9.2 don't work (by now) with some brands of parallel ports."

I have Suse 8.2 working with no problem in this system. I must try with another distro. Do you have any ideas about which distro is Ok for a print server in a windows XP LAN?

Bye.