Waiting for printer to finish - error

Peter Blajev peter at castandcrew.com
Wed Dec 15 19:40:03 PST 2004

Thank you Helge.

I'll use hpnpf if I have to, even that I don't like the idea to support
and depend on one more utility.

On my systems the socket backend fails on wide
range of printers. I tested it on almost every type of printer in the
company and got the same behavior:

  HP LaserJet 4M Plus
  HP LaserJet 9000
  HP LaserJet 9050
  HP LaserJet 4000
  HP LaserJet 4050N
  HP LaserJet 4250N
  HP LaserJet 2100TN
  Xerox Docuprint N32
  Xerox 4230

Those are only HP and Xerox printers and probably the jetdirect boxes
are similar but we are using CUPS for 4 years now and with the last
version we were using 1.1.18 everything worked.

Regarding this I'm willing to exclude printers as part of the problem.

I'll see if I can find a work around. :-(

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Peter

PS: Forgot to mention. Tested it on SuSE 7.2 and RedHat Enterprise 3.