[cups.general] Suse 9.2 and CUPS.

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Dec 16 03:13:25 PST 2004

Hello,

this is not related to CUPS, nevertheless I send a final reply.

On Dec 15 12:35 Jordi wrote (shortened):
> Suse 9.2 recognize all of my parallel ports,  including the motherboar's
> one (Intel D845GERG2) and two ports located in a pci card (Sunix 4014).
> The installation program (the new Yast2) detects and install all the
> printers attached to the ports (Designjet 220,  Ricoh Aficio 220 and
> HP laserjet 5).  At this point all seems running fine but after the
> install,  you got a messy installation with no /dev/lp files.

If wou would have written this in your first mail it would have
been clear what you have. Nobody can guess what your system is.

I guess that "after the install" means in fact "after a reboot".
If yes then it may happen that the parallel port kernel modules
parport, parport_pc and lp are not loaded automatically.
In this case add modprobe calls to /etc/init.d/boot.local

Whether or not /dev/lp* exists depends on the udev system.

For example on my workstation with only one parallel port:

root at host# mknod /dev/lp0 c 6 0

root at host# ls -l /dev/lp0
crw-------  1 root root 6, 0 2004-12-16 11:58 /dev/lp0

root at host# lsmod | egrep 'parport|^lp'
parport_pc             43968  1
lp                     14856  0
parport                44616  2 parport_pc,lp

root at host# rmmod lp

root at host# ls -l /dev/lp0
/bin/ls: /dev/lp0: No such file or directory

root at host# echo -en '\r' >/dev/lp0

root at host# ls -l /dev/lp0
-rw-------  1 root root 1 2004-12-16 11:59 /dev/lp0

Now /dev/lp0 has become a normal file.
But when the lp module is loaded again the device node
is forced to be re-created by udev automatically:

root at host# modprobe lp

root at host# lsmod | egrep 'parport|^lp'
lp                     14856  0
parport_pc             43968  1
parport                44616  2 lp,parport_pc

root at host# ls -l /dev/lp0
crw-rw----  1 root lp 6, 0 2004-12-16 12:01 /dev/lp0

Note that the owner, group and permissions are now set by udev
to what is specified according to

root at host# grep ^lp /etc/udev/permissions.d/50-udev.permissions
lp*:root:lp:660

are loaded correctly at boot time and that they are
not removed by some unknown process.

Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de