Installing CUPS printer drivers on WinXP clients...

Peter Saward p.saward at uea.ac.uk
Thu Dec 16 12:59:35 PST 2004

In article <19461-cups.general at news.easysw.com>,
 Helge Blischke <H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de> wrote:

> You must do the properties modification as administrator (or a user
> having
> administrator rights).
>
> The best thing to set the defaults is to connect to the samba server as
> user which has administrative rights on the samba server and set the
> defaults
> there, before installing this stuff on the client machines.

This seems to be the stumbling point: I've got a user account on the
XP machine which has the same username and password as the admin user on
the samba server. The drivers download and install, but when I select
a printer from the server's Printers and Faxes folder, all the settings
in properties are greyed out.  And since they've been installed on the
XP client, why are the properties settings greyed-out when accessed from
the client's Printer and Faxes folder?

So how do I get the samba server to authenticate the XP user as the
samba admin?  (OK, maybe this is a silly question, but I'm a MacOS/
Unix person, not Windoze....)

> I urgently recommend to read the chapters 18 (classical printing
> support) and
> 19 (CUPS printing support) of the official samba howto and follow the
> recommendations given there.

I've read these now umpteen times, and I still can't get it to go.
If I disable the [print$] share and install the drivers manually on
the XP client, everything works fine. And CUPS is working perfectly
as far as unix/MacOSX/MacOS9 clients are concerned.

I suppose I could abandon the attempt to have the server install the
drivers, but I rather wanted to make things a bit easier for the
Windows users (and myself).

Tearing my hair out in frustration....!

-P.

PS.
This is my smb.conf...
 # Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = EDU
        netbios name = PRINTSERVER4
        server string = Samba Server
        security = SHARE
        passdb backend = tdbsam
        log file = /var/log/samba.%m
        max log size = 50
        dns proxy = No
        ldap ssl = no
        hosts allow = all
        hosts deny = none
        load printers = yes
        printing = cups
        printcap name = cups

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[tmp]
        comment = Temporary file space
        path = /tmp
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes

[print$]
        comment = printer drivers
        path = /var/samba/drivers
        browseable = yes
        guest ok = yes
        read only = no
        write list = root

[printers]
        path = /var/spool/samba
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No
        writeable = no
        public = yes
        printer admin = root

--
Peter Saward
Centre for Applied Research in Education