HP 4100 - Select Tray

Helge Blischke H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
Fri Dec 17 05:30:10 PST 2004

Joe Trent wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Red Hat 9 / CUPS I'm printing text to an HP 4101. Everything works
> ok, except I can't seem to select the tray. If I put paper in the manual
> feed tray (tray1), it selects it. But otherwise, the paper comes out of
> the default letter size tray2. I can't make it print from legal size in
> tray3. I've tried lots of things including:
>
> lp -s -dHP4101 -otray3 test.file
> lp -s -dHP4101 -olegal test.file
> lp -s -dHP4101 -olegal,tray3 test.file
>
> Some code from my ppd:
>
> *InputSlot Tray3/Tray 3: "%% FoomaticRIPOptionSetting: InputSlot=Tray3"
> *FoomaticRIPOptionSetting InputSlot=Tray3: "<</ManualFeed false &&
> /MediaPosition 1>>setpagedevice\n"
> *End
>
> I can change orientation fine, so something's getting through.
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Joe

As the HP 4100 has a built-in PostScript interpreter (language level 3),
so use
the vendor-supplied PPD.

Hint: the printer has an HTTP interface for configuration and test. If
you configure
paper types for the trays, selecting the trays explicitely may not work,
as the
media type takes precedence over the tray number (this might depend on
the
firmware version; different 4100 printers at oru site behave
differently).

Helge

--
Helge Blischke