CUPS on Ubuntu: jobs don't finish

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Mon Dec 20 15:41:06 PST 2004

Hi All,

Tried to google on some related phrases with no luck, so here is my question:

I've installed Ubuntu (Debian) linux on a laptop and am attempting to use it as a Rube Goldberg-type print server. I have an HP LaserJet 5L attached to the parallel port of the laptop and I have edited /etc/cupd.conf to allowing other computers to access the CUPS server. My Mac G5 (which doesn't have the parallel printer connection) also has CUPS and I've set up the cupsd so that it can see my LaserJet on the laptop. So far so good ---

The printer seems to work fine with the hpijs driver, except for one thing:

after printing a job (from the Mac), the job stays in the queue and prevents further jobs from being printed. If I lprm the job after it has printed, then another job can get in to the queue. Doing this a bunch of times leaves a lot of defunct processes owned by cupsys (as evidenced by doing 'ps gaux').

How can I cause CUPS to properly finish each print job? When I print a test page from the GNOME printer configuration GUI on the laptop it does properly leave the queue when it is done.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

Ed