consistent problems in KDE printing to remote cups server

Tim Kelley tim.kelley at mms.gov
Tue Dec 21 07:32:24 PST 2004

I am positive this is a KDE problem, but I am hoping someone here knows of a
fix for this.

When KDE is set to use a remote cups server, it presents a login dialog no
matter what the print servers access controls are. I can set the cups
server to allow completely anonymous printing, yet KDE still prompts for a
login. Note that everything does work, even though (parts of) KDE thinks it
doesn't.  I can get the list of printers and print just fine; I just keep
getting the annoying login dialog.

I realize I could set up a local cups server, have it browse the main
server, and point KDE to that, but I would much rather just use the cups
server remotely, the way it's supposed to work.  Running a local cups
daemon on every machine that needs to print is messy and excessively
complicated.

--
Tim Kelley
tim.kelley at mms.gov