[cups.general] smbspool, well, doesn't

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Dec 21 08:44:28 PST 2004

Derek J. Balling wrote:

>> Helge Blischke wrote:
>>
>>> Are the printers shared?
>>

>> Yes, and the windows users can print to them just spiffy (we tested
>> that, just to be sure)
>

> Anyone else have any other insight on this? Right now it's looking like
> I might have to get them a dedicated network-attached printer
> specifically to get around this, but that doesn't seem to be optimal
> (and will only have people above me asking why linux "can't do this
> simple thing like printing") ... ugh.

As of CUPS 1.1.22, you need an updated smbspool program which gets
the authentication information from the DEVICE_URI environment
variable instead of argv[0].  If you are using smbspool to send
jobs to a Windows server that requires authentication (something
we don't recommend - the TCP/IP Printing Service, aka LPD, is
available on Windows NT/2000/XP, works better, and doesn't require
SAMBA), then you need to get the current SAMBA release (3.0.10,
I think)