Cups cannot print

pipitas k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Tue Dec 21 14:54:40 PST 2004

Anonymous wrote:

> After I configed cups, user cannot connect printers except add it into
> printer admin in samba, can anyone give me some advice ?

As I wrote before, I am not sure if I understand what you mean to say.

With "users" you mean users running a Windows client connecting to a
Samba printer?

With "add it into printer admin" you mean "add the user to the Samba
printer admin group"?

> ps I clear all the log in /var/log/cups, the log attatched is errror_log
> after restart cups service ~

I strongly assume your problem is with Samba, not CUPS. That means
the Samba log file would be more telling than the CUPS one.

Also: which is your version of Samba? Which is your version of CUPS?

> thanks
>
> [samba config]
>
> [global]
>         workgroup = LAN
>         server string = Pykota Server
>         log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
>         max log size = 50
>         socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
>         dns proxy = No
>         idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
>         idmap gid = 16777216-33554431

I strongly doubt that idmap uid/gid numbers can go as high as
33.554.431, but I may err here....

>         hosts allow = 10.117.48., 127.
>         cups options = raw
>
> [homes]
>         comment = Home Directories
>         read only = No
>         browseable = No
>
> [share]
>         comment = Share for every users
>         path = /share
>         read only = No
>
> [printers]
>         comment = All Printers
>         path = /var/spool/samba
>         write list = root, postgres
>         printer admin = @root
>         read only = No
>         guest ok = Yes
>         printable = Yes
>         browseable = No

What are the "printing = " and the "security = " settings used by
your Samba server?

Please give us the output of his command:

   testparm -v -s | egrep '(\[|print|driv|cups|lp|secur|admin|guest|path)'

Cheers,
Kurt