lpadmin can not use specified PPD file

pipitas k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Wed Dec 22 05:20:58 PST 2004

anonymous wrote:

> I used lpadmin -m /home/guest/file.ppd to install a printer and always get
> lpadmin: add-printer (set model) failed: server-error-internal-error.

You should use

   lpadmin [.....] -P /home/guest/file.ppd

> I checked /var/log/cups/error_log, it says
> add_printer: Unable to copy PPD file from
> /usr/share/cups/model//home/gusst/file.ppd to /etc/cups/ppd/file.ppd - No
> such file of directory!

It is correct saying so, istnt it?  ;-)

There are 2 ways to specify the PPD:

 "-m ppdfile.ppd" or "-m subdir/ppdfile.ppd".  This "-m" parameter
 looks into the standard CUPS "model" directory (usually located in
 "/usr/share/cups/model/") to find "ppdfile.ppd", or in a subdirectory
 "/usr/share/cups/model/subdir/".

 "-P /path/to/ppdfile.ppd" or "-P ../path/to/ppdfile.ppd". This "-P"
 parameter takes an absolute or relative path to look for the
 ppdfile.ppd.

> Why can't lpadmin always require the directory prefix of
> /usr/share/cups/model?

It does use that prefix with the -m parameter, and it doesnt use it
with the -P parameter.

Cheers,
Kurt