cups connecting to IIS

pipitas k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Wed Dec 22 06:37:43 PST 2004

Riyaz wrote:

> Is it possible for cups to connect to a print server (WIN XP) supporting
> ipp.

Yes. If the WinXP print server doesnt request authentication (but allows
anonymous printing). Microsoft use for authentication one of their
proprietary protocols, even when printing via IPP.

> Has any one done this?

Yes.

> and could you let me know how this is done??

On the CUPS side use the ipp:// or the http:// backend, with a device
URI like this:

  http://windowsxp-name-or-ip:80/printers/printer-share-name/.printer

Please note:

 * they don't use port 631, but 80 by default:
 * you need to use the printer "share name"
 * you need to supplement the device URI with the string ".printer"
 * the print server needs to have IIS running.

> Thank you,
> Riyaz

Cheers,
Kurt