[cups.general] Does CUPS ever work out of the box?

pipitas k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Wed Dec 22 07:40:48 PST 2004

Andrew McCall wrote:

<snipping and ignoring license-type text>

> I use CUPS on over 20 Solaris and Linux servers - some of them use binary
> packages or RPM's and others use custom builds (although I am moving them
> all over to custom builds now) - all of them worked "out of the box".
>
> In fact, on Solaris I know that CUPS will work with just /configure &&
> make && make install && cupsd so long as you have the gcc package
> installed form SunFreeware.

I suggest you to look into the "Community Software" packages as are
availble from http://www.blastwave.org/.

These packages are in general much better built and maintained than
the SFW ones.

The beauty of CSW/blastwave is that the packages are...

  ...all fairly recent
  ...well maintained
  ...build with the correct dependencies
  ...administered by the Debian-inspired "pkg-get" tool

With pkg-get you can run "pkg-get install cups" and you get all the
dependencies installed as well (into an "/opt/csw/" offest path).

That will remove lots of headaches for you, and give you lots of
additional OSS software packages on Solaris 8, 9, 10, Sparc as
well as Intel and AMD64.

And yes, it works out of the box.

> I have never had a problem with CUPS, other than not being able to fully
> understand how to use it to its maximum potential - but that's more my
> fault than CUPS, although some sample implementations for large
> organisations in the documents would be great!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew McCall
> Senior Technical Officer (Server)

Cheers,