Visability Security Issue with Samba Printers

Jeff Sadowski jeff_sadowski at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 22 11:00:38 PST 2004

I'm dislike how Cups's Web interface tells the complete info about the printer in the Device URL some of that info is private and should not be shared.
I have a few Samba Printers I print to and they work rather well with cups. The only complaint I have is that anyone on my system can get my username/password for my windows network.
ex:
http://127.0.0.1:631(I only opened the port to 127.0.0.1)
Under the Printer info wich all users on my machine have access to

Location: Work
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs.
Device URI: smb://Username:Password@WindowsDomain/Computer/SharedPrinter

Everyone on my computer can see my username and password for my windows network at work.

p.s. the process to setting up a windows shared printer could have been much better documented and could have been made alot easier. It took alot of looking to find the format for the username password for a windiws shared printer.

One other problem I have with this is that the windows username and password might contain characters that screw with this format like what if the username had colons in it (Im not sure its possable but what if)
Is there any plans on changing/solving some of these issues?